- Start Here!
- Research Process
- Getting Started
- Find Books/eBooks/Streaming Videos
- Find Articles
- MLA Citations
- Writing Assistance
- Research Local Topics
There are three main ways to integrate another person's work into your own. As you write, it is important to use each method to make your writing interesting and readable.
The three methods are:
Paraphrasing -- To paraphrase something means to put the source material into your own words. Typically, the paraphrase will be shorter than the source material.
Summarizing -- When you need to use long passages, chapters, etc. of source material, you can rewrite the main ideas in much shorter form. However, the ideas belong to the source material so they still need to be cited.
Quoting - Direct quotations means that you use the exact words employed by the authors in the original text. Usually, you will only use a few phrases or a sentence or two.
Incorporating Sources in your writing - Help Guides
- Paraphrasing, Summarizing, and QuotingA short video using the Disney movie Brave to discuss the three ways of presenting research in your writing or presentation.
- Incorporating Sources into your writingThis video explains the basics of a research paper including the process of incorporating other sources into your writing.
Academic Writing -- Help Guide
- Academic Writing OverviewA series of short videos on the various aspects of the academic writing process. A great overview.
- Should I use "I" in my academic paper?A handout from the UNC writing center describing how academic writing can differ than personal writing.
- Academic Writing HelpA comprehensive site outlining different writing assignments and styles. (from Empire State College)
- What is an Annotated Bibliography?From Cornell University, this quick guide offers defining characteristics of an annotated bibliography and how it differs from an abstract.
- Writing an Annotated Bibliography (Skidmore College)Includes sections on elements, structure and examples of writing an annotated bibliographies.
- Annotated Bibliography Information from the Purdue OWLIncludes general information as well as samples of an Annotated Bibliography in MLA, APA, and Chicago Formats.
General College Success Help
- Learning Strategies HandoutsFrom Maui College's TLC, this collection contains roughly 20 handouts outlining various writing and reading skills including note-taking, thesis writing, and citations.
- Online Learning AssistanceA guide from the UHMC librarians for those new to online learning.
Make an Appointment!
Using the Star Balance System, you can make an appointment for the following services at TLC@UHMC. Each link provides instructions for using the service:
Course Tutoring - meet with a peer tutor and get assistance with course content
Study Skills Coaching - meet with a coach to reinvigorate your study sessions. One or two sessions can make a huge difference in your approach.
Essay Drop-Off - TLC reviewers can look at your essay to offer writing assistance.
- Last Updated: Aug 18, 2022 8:57 AM
- URL: https://maui.hawaii.libguides.com/engonline
- Print Page
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (808) 984-3233 | Text: (808) 518-4080