A guide for students in Anthropology
Library Quick Links
- Hours and UpdatesGet the latest information on the library's hours.
- Ask a LibrarianYou can chat with a librarian during regular business hours, set up an appointment with a librarian or email a question.
Other Recommended Research Guides
by Maui College Librarians Last Updated Nov 30, 2021 112 views this year
by Maui College Librarians Last Updated Oct 18, 2020 2 views this year
by Shavonn Matsuda Last Updated Apr 20, 2022 15 views this year
Researching Current Events & Issues
by Maui College Librarians Last Updated Apr 12, 2023 25 views this year
Research is an iterative process.
It can take more time and effort than simply plugging a few keywords into Google and taking the top three hits.
- Give yourself enough time to engage the process.
- Work broad to narrow. Gain an overview of your topic before you delve deep.
- Ask yourself who might "have" the information you need?
- Always "be researching" -- Look carefully at what your sources are telling you; use them to guide your research.
- The Librarians are here to help you! Use them as a resource!
Writing Advice and Hints
There are three main ways to integrate another person's work into your own. As you write, it is important to use each method to make your writing interesting and readable.
The three methods are:
- Quoting - Direct quotations means that you use the exact words employed by the authors in the original text. Usually, you will only use a few phrases or a sentence or two.
Paraphrasing -- To paraphrase something means to put the source material into your own words. Typically, the paraphrase will be shorter than the source material.
Summarizing -- When you need to use long passages, chapters, etc. of source material, you can rewrite the main ideas in much shorter form. However, the ideas belong to the source material so they still need to be cited.
Helpful Videos and Websites
- Academic WritingUsing a metaphor of a party, this video explains the writing process in an academic setting.
- Paraphrasing, Summarizing, and QuotingDiscusses three ways of presenting research in your writing or presentation.
- Writing HelpPresents some tips and guidelines to make your writing strong and interesting to read.
- Incorporating Sources into your writingThis video explains the basics of a research paper including the process of incorporating other sources into your writing.
- How to read Scholarly MaterialsA short video on techniques for looking at scholarly materials.