What Can be Placed on Reserve?
The UHMC Library provides Course Reserves services to assist student access to course materials. Faculty may place personal or approved library-owned print copies of instructional materials on reserve at the Library for educational and non-commercial use by students. Hard copy instructional materials, such as books and media, will be placed on reserve behind the Circulation Desk with specified loan periods determined by the instructor.
- Library-owned copies of books in print and media such as DVDs and CDs
- Personal copies of materials that are not owned by UHMC Library
- Photocopies or scanned copies, such as:
- Journal articles
- A maximum of 2 journal articles from a single issue
- A maximum of 2 photocopies of the same article
- Books: A maximum of 2 chapters of a book or no more than 10% of the book
- Tests that have been created by the Instructor.
- Journal articles
It is the responsibility of faculty, with the help of library staff, to comply with copyright laws and to make a best effort to respect the intellectual property rights of others.
For personal copies, the Library is not able to replace lost copies. We do, however, have procedures in place to minimize the risk of loss.
For more information please refer to our Course Reserves Guidelines or contact the library
How to Place Items on Reserve
What do YOU need to do and WHEN?
- Print and submit the Instructor's Course Reserve Form (pdf) to the circulation desk for processing.
- You must fill out one Course Reserve Request Form for each item you want to place on your Course Reserves list.
- If placing personal copies or photocopied materials on Course Reserve, please bring these items to the Circulation Desk along with the completed Instructor's Course Reserve Form.
- Requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please allow at least 2 business days for processing. Keep in mind that the beginning of each semester is a busy time so processing Reserves may take up to 4 days during this time.
- We encourage faculty to submit Reserve requests at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Instructors are responsible for complying with copyright law and any requisite payment to the holder of the copyright.
- If you have a photocopied version of the text you would like to put on Reserve, please provide the Title Page and the Copyright Page along with the text.
Remember to promote use of the items you have on Course Reserve and encourage your students to come use them!
Faculty may pick up their reprints or personal copies from the library circulation desk at the end of each semester.
All items will be removed from the Reserve one week following the last final exam day of each semester.
- Reprints or personal copies that are not picked up by faculty will be returned through campus mail. Items that are too large to be distributed through campus mail will be delivered to their respective departmental office.
- Library books and media will be returned to their respective library shelves in order to prevent any possible Copyright Law infringement.
Reserve Rules for students
- Only one reserve item may be borrowed at a time.
- Course Reserve materials with a "Library Use Only" slip must remain in the Library at all times and must not be left unattended.
- Materials are placed on reserve so that all students have equal access. If a student consistently or intentionally prevents others from having access to reserve items, the library reserves the right to restrict use pending discussion with the instructor.
List of Items Currently on Reserve
- Last Updated: May 26, 2020 2:52 PM
- URL: https://maui.hawaii.libguides.com/coursereserves
- Print Page
Email: email@example.com | Phone: (808) 984-3233 | Text: (808) 518-4080