Exam Success Strategies
A how to for succeeding at exams
What is the structure of the exam?
- Before you start studying, find out information about the structure of the test.
- Is it timed?
- What is the format (multiple-choice, essay, short answer, problem-based, or a combination)?
- How many questions?
- Find out what learning objectives, competencies, or outcomes will be assessed (look in syllabi or course outlines).
- Is it an open-book test?
- Are you allowed to use your notes?
- What other resources are you allowed to use during the test?
- What chapters or topics are covered on the exam?
- Is it cumulative (covers the whole semester of topics)?
- Ask your instructor through email or by visiting them during their office hours if you are unsure.
- If the exam is online, you should also find out
- The technical requirements for the exam.
- Where do you access the exam - through Laulima or a 3rd party vendor?
- How will it be proctored?
- What are the procedures to follow if you have technical problems?
- How many attempts are you allowed?
- Can you skip a question and go back?
- What is the resubmission policy?
- Last Updated: Nov 24, 2022 8:45 AM
- URL: https://maui.hawaii.libguides.com/Exams
- Print Page
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (808) 984-3233 | Text: (808) 518-4080