PACS 108: Start Here
This guide was created for students in Dr. Kirkendall's PACS 108 course. It includes links to readings and other resources useful to research on Oceania.
Photo: Sapou Village (image provided by Dr. K)
- Pacific Nations and Territories byCall Number: Hawaiian DU17 .R53 2006Publication Date: 2006
Chapter List: (click on a chapter to start reading - UH login required)
Hauofa, E. (1993). Our Sea of Islands. The Contemporary Pacific, 6(1), 148-161.
Meyer, M. A. (2001). Our own liberation: reflections on Hawaiian epistemology. The Contemporary Pacific, 13(1), 124-148.
Teaiwa, T. (2005) The classroom as Metaphorical Canoe: Cooperative Learning in Pacific Studies.
Free download available from WINHEC: International Journal of Indigenous Education Scholarship website
- Mainly encyclopedias. A large digital collection of reference materials including dictionaries, encyclopedias, biographies, maps and images.
- eHRAF World Cultures This link opens in a new windoweHRAF World Cultures contains ethnographic collections covering all aspects of cultural and social life. Visit the eHRAF help site at Yale University for video tutorials and general help and guidance for teaching with eHRAF.
To view a list of cultures available for Australia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia - 1) Open the eHRAF World Cultures database, 2) choose the "Browse CULTURES" tab, 3) then choose "by Region" and 4) click "Oceania" .
CIA World Factbook
Contains information for every country, dependency, and geographic entity in the world. Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, energy, geography, transportation, communication, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
The World Bank: Pacific Islands
Provides economic information for the Pacific Islands as a whole and by country.
- Tides of History byCall Number: Hawaiian DU28.3 .T53 1994
- Native Cultures of the Pacific Islands byCall Number: Hawaiian GN662 .O45 1989
Want to find other videos? Search in Primo or in the following databases directly:
- Ethnographic Videos: Indigenous Voices This link opens in a new windowResource for the study of human culture, behavior and society around the world. Contains over 1,300 hours of streaming video, including ethnographic films, documentaries, select feature films, and previously unpublished fieldwork. From Alexander Street Press.
- FOD is a comprehensive collection of educational videos and films covering academic and career and technical educations subject areas. Available streaming, 24/7.
Contact the Library by
Phone → (808) 984-3715
Text/SMS → (808) 518-4080
Email → email@example.com
- Nest in the Wind byPublication Date: 2005You can get this book from other UH libraries for free - click title to request it (takes 4-7 days to get to Maui).
- Lamotrek Atoll and Inter-Island Socioeconomic Ties byPublication Date: 1989
- Samoan Village byCall Number: Ethnography Collection - DU819.F58 H65 1974
- Unity of Heart byCall Number: General Collection - GN671.T88 C43 2001Publication Date: 2000