Exam Success Strategies
A how to for succeeding at exams
Make a Study Plan
- Determine the main topics and content that you will be tested. The main topics can be identified through
- Textbook chapters
- Lecture notes
- Previous exams and quizzes
- Instructor's handouts
- Information instructor gives or reviews
- Course syllabus
- Organize content
- Integrate notes from the textbook and lectures
- Connect material to the important ideas and issues in the course
- Predict exam questions to help you practice
- What are the big course ideas (major themes) - organize content thematically
- Identify the topics that you want to prioritize.
- Content that is least familiar to you
- Content that is most likely to be emphasized on the exam
- Content that is challenging
- Identify specific study strategies depending on the different content you are being tested on.
- Practice the way you are going to be tested. This helps your brain to practice getting information out of your head.
- When you reread your text and notes, that helps get information in your head, but not out, as an exam requires
- Use your calendar to identify times when you can review material to prepare for the exam
- You will learn more effectively if you space out your studying over time.
- Identify small chunks of study time over several days (or weeks) leading up to an exam.
- Allocate enough time - every course is different. Some courses are more challenging or are testing you on larger amounts of material than others.
- Last Updated: Nov 24, 2022 8:45 AM
- URL: https://maui.hawaii.libguides.com/Exams
- Print Page
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (808) 984-3233 | Text: (808) 518-4080