My Library Packet: For Faculty
Overview & Learning Objectives
There are 3 library orientation activities in the FYE My Library Packet. For a list of alternative or additional library activities visit our Tutorials & Activities page.
1) Mobile Scavenger Hunt
Learning objective: Introduces students to the physical library - library spaces, services and people.
Fun stat (Fall 2017): 25% of the participants indicated they had never been inside the library before.
2) Library Online Scavenger Hunt
Learning objective: Introduces students to the library website (the digital library) and all that it has to offer. Students learn to perform strategic tasks within core databases and search systems.
Fun stat (Fall 2017): Upon completion, 95% of all participants indicated that they felt Comfortable or Very Comfortable using the library website.
2) Introduction to Academic Research
Learning objective: Helps students consider various aspects of academic research, including their role in scholarly communication, "21st Century" source evaluation, and using information strategically and responsibly.
- Each activity is self-guided and takes an estimated 30-45 minutes to complete. In-class reflection/discussion is strongly encouraged.
- It is recommended that you contact Ellen Peterson before you assign the FYE Library Packet to your students. She can help with classroom implementation and further instructions. Ellen can provide alternative activities for those students who have already completed the packet.
- Each packet captures student answers and tracking data. When you are ready to view your student data, please ask Ellen for your student, class, or course data.
Full packet (student view: My Library Packet):
Students earn the UHMC Library Badge upon completion of their full Library Packet (and hopefully some class credit!). Students can proudly display, collect, and share their badge.