My Library Packet: For Faculty
My Library Packet : 4 Library & Research Orientation Activities
There are 4 library orientation activities in the FYE My Library Packet. They are presented here in recommended order. For a list of alternative or additional library activities visit our Tutorials & Activities page.
The introduction page for each activity has learning objectives and instructions.
Each activity is self-guided. In-class reflection/discussion is strongly encouraged.
- It is recommended that you contact Ellen Peterson before you assign the FYE Library Packet to your students. She can help with classroom implementation and further instructions. Ellen can provide alternative activities for those students who have already completed the packet.
- Each packet captures student answers and tracking data. When you are ready to view your student data, please ask Ellen for your student, class, or course data.
1) Mobile Scavenger Hunt
2) Library Online Scavenger Hunt
Introduces students to the library website (the digital library) and all that it has to offer. Students learn to perform strategic tasks within core databases and search systems.
Fun stat (Fall 2017): Upon completion, 95% of all participants indicated that they felt Comfortable or Very Comfortable using the library website.
3) How to Spot Fake News Tutorial
Introduces students to source evaluation strategies for identifying and working with fake news online.
4) Introduction to Academic Research
Introduces students to various aspects of academic research, including their role in scholarly communication, "21st Century" source evaluation, and using information strategically and responsibly.
Full packet (student view: My Library Packet):